[tex-live] README on CTAN

Gerd Neugebauer gene at gerd-neugebauer.de
Mon Sep 12 07:34:50 CEST 2016

> On 12 September 2016 at 01:05 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> Gerd -
Hi Karl,

> the reason I created that peculiar setup is so there could be
> live links when visiting /Images via ftp on tug or ctan or mirror sites.
> Switching to Markdown would make ctan.org http pages prettier, but at
> the cost of losing live links everywhere else, so that doesn't seem
> good.  I wouldn't mind switching (back) to plain text and not have live
> links anywhere.  I was just trying to be helpful to users.  -k

I understand your intentions. In this case I propose the following solution:

- Delete the link README.html
- Rename README to README.htlm
- Add a new file README.md with the same content and formatted as markdown

Then everybody would be happy. The ftp users could still read README.html in the
browser and the visitors on ctan.org would see the text immediately in a
readable form.

Another minor remark on the current HTML file
- The file does not contain a valid HTML file contents. At least the doctype is
everybody understands HTML5, yet.

Ciao
Gerd