[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Sep 5 11:26:23 CEST 2016

Dear Akira-san --

Akira Kakuto wrote:
> It seems that I was wrong:
>
> By experiments, I found that the renaming,
> cachefile.NEW --> cachefile, almost always
> fails if executed from the XeTeX binary even
> in a user's writable directory.
Thank you -- further experiments after installing a further new font have indeed shewn this to be the case.  It would also seem that, in my case at least, that I have write access to the default location for FC_CACHEDIR so the effect of explicitly setting that to C:\TeX\Live\2016\FC_cache was to allow the initial creation of a new cache (which of course helped) but did not address the real problem that you have identified with :

#ifdef _WIN32
   unlink ((const char *) atomic->file);
   /* fails always if executed from the XeTeX binary */
#endif
> Thus if you find a delay of time, run fc-cache -v.
>
> If messages
> invalid cache file: ...
> are shown, run
>
> fc-cache -v
>
> once more.
Thank you, and noted for future reference.
** Phil.
--

Philip Taylor