[tex-live] texinfo not happy with texlive not producing log?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Nov 7 23:44:09 CET 2016

On 2016-11-06 at 20:58:02 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > > perl/Tk unusable, cannot create main window.
 >
 > That can be worked around, but I am not a Maccy.

Hi Norbert,
you don't need a MacIntoy.  For testing it's sufficient to temporary
rename Tk.pm.

The "problem" isn't Mac specific.  I just invoked install-tl --gui
on my server (Raspberry Pi with Debian Jessie) and got the same message.

BTW, there is neither Perl/Tk nor X11 installed on this machine and the
installer continued in text mode.  This is great and IMO a very
important feature.  The warning message is ugly but harmless though.

Replacing Perl's warning message is certainly a good idea because most
users expect a less verbose and more comprehensible message.

Norbert, if you intend to replace the message, I recommend to name the
package "perl-tk" rather than "Perl/Tk" because the former name is
used by most Linux package managers.  If an OS/X user invokes
install-tl --gui it's better to point him to MacTeX instead of
suggesting to install Perl/Tk.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25