[tex-live] TL platforms vs. dpkg-architecture

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:13:03 CEST 2016

Both i386 and i686 refer to 32bit architecture, amd64 refers to 64bit
architecture. 64bit binaries cannot work on a 32bit architecture. 32bit
binaries in principle work on 64bit architecture but it may be necessary to
install some 32bit libraries that are not installed as default. There
should not be a remarkable difference between amd64 and x86_64 (Intel). My
colleagues use molecular dynamics, so their software must be well optimized
to run fast. They have special optimization switched on, so they have a
separate binary optimized for amd64 and a separate binary optimized for
x86_64. I think this is not the case of TeX.

Remember that if you install a package by the packaging manager f your
distro, it usually install only a package for your platform, If you need a
32bit package for a 64bit platform, you have to specify it explicitely.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz