[tex-live] Fontspec overriding default paper size with LuaTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu May 26 21:41:37 CEST 2016

> > Am Thu, 26 May 2016 18:13:42 +0200 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
> >
> > > So I would have expected that, when the user specifies nothing,
> > > then LaTeX remains neutral on the matter and just lets the paper
> > > size be as specified by the engine/driver settings.
> >
> > LaTeX is neutral -- the class is not. If you would use a koma class you
> would get A4 as default. A class has to setup a layout and it rather
> difficult how it should do it without defining a default layout. The
> default for article is letter, and so you should specify a4paper if don't
> want it -- better for the margins anyway.
>
> Only answering now (I'm not subscribed to tex-live, and wasn't cc'ed your
> message, hence only saw it when browsing the list archive on the web page):
>
> By neutral I meant set \paperheight etc. to their default LaTeX value of
> course, but don't attempt to match \(pdf)pageheight etc. to them unless the
> user specifies [a4paper] or [letter] explicitly : just let these be
> whatever the driver config files specify, irrespective of \paperheight etc.

This is OMHO not a problem of LaTeX but a problem of a package doing it
without being asked to do it. This is the very reason why my zwpagelayout
defers all settings requested by the user to \AtBeginDocument so that all
unwanted settings made by other packages are neglected.

> But David in the next message explained why he thinks this is faulty
> design, and instead willingly ensures that \pageheight and \paperheight
> match. I can identify to that.
>
> Bruno

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz