[tex-live] Fontspec overriding default paper size with LuaTeX

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:04:48 CEST 2016

On 26 May 2016 at 15:00, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Hi David
>
> >so far it looks like expected behaviour, I don't see a bug.
> >
> >\documentclass{article}
> >
> >specifies a USletter document and (once you load a package that knows
> >anything about the back end) that is what you are getting.
>
> That hasn't been the behaviour since many years.

yes honestly latex has not changed here since 199-something.

> We allowed for setting the global paper size so that documents without a
> paper specification got that paper size.

where? latex has no local configuration file that is input.

texlive lets you customise the default page sive for pdf/lua tex and dvi
dvrivers but latex's typesetting has no knowledge of this.

a document typeset with

\documentclass{article}

should produce the same text block _everywhere_ the line breaking does not
depend on local configuration.

> This is broken now, and I consider this very unfortunate.

No, pdflatex is working as it always has done, and lualatex is working like
pdflatex.

> Norbert
>
> --

David