[tex-live] Fontspec overriding default paper size with LuaTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu May 26 16:01:19 CEST 2016

> Le 26 mai 2016 à 15:35, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> a écrit :
>
>> Le 26 mai 2016 à 15:28, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>>
>> specifies a USletter document and (once you load a package that knows
>> anything about the back end) that is what you are getting.
>
> Not here (Mac with MacTeX-2016 pretest, everything set up for A4 paper -- through tlmgr I believe -- at install time, no specific customization):
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> Hello World!
> \end{document}
>
> yields A4 output with all of TeX+dvips, pdfTeX and XeTeX. Only LuaTeX gives US Letter.

I wasn't clear, sorry, and misinterpreted what you wrote.

After systematic testing:

\documentclass{article}

  -> A4: TeX + dvips + gs
  -> A4: pdfTeX
  -> A4: XeTeX
  -> A4: LuaTeX

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphics}

  -> A4: TeX + dvips + gs
  -> Letter: pdfTeX
  -> A4: XeTeX
  -> Letter: LuaTeX

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

  -> A4: TeX + dvips + gs
  -> A4: pdfTeX
  -> A4: XeTeX
  -> A4: LuaTeX

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{graphics}

  -> A4: TeX + dvips + gs
  -> A4: pdfTeX
  -> A4: XeTeX
  -> A4: LuaTeX

OK, I'll adapt my practice to this.

But I'm surprised: I thought the idea was a total separation between

- the media size, based on \pageheight etc., defined in pdftexconfig.tex and the like, on one hand;

- the page size (used for calculating the text width and the margins etc.), based on \paperheight and the like, defined by the package option, on the other hand.

As I said, no big deal, I'll adapt.

Bruno