[tex-live] another network outage at Utah

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Fri May 20 03:47:35 CEST 2016

This morning at 11:13 MDT (UTC - 6h), the local power company lost
their feed to the University of Utah main campus, and power did not
return to campus for about two hours.

Normally, we have a diesel generator that kicks in and keeps us
running, and it did, but a recent failure of our machine-room UPS
prevented electrical pass through to the room, so all equipment
instantly was without power.  In addition, our desktop UPSes are good
for about an hour, but that was not long enough for the outage.

As usually happens with major power events, there are machines that
won't restart, network switches that get confused, disks and fans that
won't spin up, and other headaches.  We have spent the last five hours
recovering systems, and are almost back to normal.

The result of this mess is that traffic to and from *.utah.edu
machines was impossible for two to three hours in the middle of the
day.  Classes were cancelled, and departmental offices were closed.