[tex-live] Fresh install fails

jhielscher at posteo.de jhielscher at posteo.de
Sun May 15 16:11:12 CEST 2016

Hi,

I was trying to do a fresh install of tl16-pretest (as I had
successfully done on other boxes before) on linux-x86_64.
install-tl fails (after downloading texlive.tlpdb{.xz,}) complaining

./install-tl: open
tlpdb(ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb)
failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line
358.

Selecting other mirrors does not help, nor does switching from http to
ftp.

Following the discussion this morning, creating $TEXDIR/temp helped to
make the broken update of existing tl16-pretest installations work
again!
But for fresh installs, naively creating such a temp dir in the
installer root folder didn't help.

Best
Johannes