[tex-live] problems with tl2016 pretest

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 12 23:51:24 CEST 2016

Hi Jim,

Thanks for trying things out, sorry for the problems.

    Looking in /local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux/
        there are a lot of programs, but pdftex is a broken link and
        updmap-sys is not there at all.

In theory, the installation should abort when the download of a package
fails.  I guess that failed install directory is gone now, but if the
same failures happen again, please take a look at the install-tl.log
file at the top-level of the install directory and see if there are any
pointers in there.

The installer code doesn't intentionally slow down any downloads, as far
as I can see.  My only suggestion would be to try a different mirror
next time to see if it makes a difference.

    TLDownload::get_file: response error: 501 Protocol scheme 'ftp' is not supported (for ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/tlpretest/archive/12many.tar.xz)
    TLDownload::get_file: response error: 501 Attempt to reload LWP/Protocol/ftp.pm aborted.

It looks like your Perl installation is messed up somehow.  -k