[tex-live] problems with tl2016 pretest

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu May 12 16:51:07 CEST 2016

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> writes on Thu, 12 May 2016 16:24:16 +0200
about Jim Diamond's <Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca> report of slow download times
from ftp.math.utah.edu:

>> You could also try to fetch the files with rsync first and then
>> install from the tarballs on the filesystem.

We DO support rsync for access to important software collections:

% rsync rsync://ftp.math.utah.edu/
CTAN            all of ftp://ctan.tug.org/ (huge)
bib             TeX User Group bibliography archive
bibnet          BibNet Project bibliography archive
historic        archive of past TeX distributions and files
texlive         all of ftp://tug.org/texlive/ (huge)
TUHS            The Unix Heritage Society (TUHS) mirror

>From my home system on cable modem connection, I just did

	rsync -av rsync://ftp.math.utah.edu/texlive/bin/i386-freebsd-9.1.tar.xz .
	sent 43 bytes  received 35,891,702 bytes  401,025.08 bytes/sec
	total size is 35,882,840  speedup is 1.00

That speed is comparable to the speed I reported for "wget ftp:...."
a few minutes ago.  I did the same rsync command at the California
site, and got 10.25MB/sec, about three times slower than wget with
http:... or ftp:.... URLs.