[tex-live] Adding programs to shell_escape_commands

Br. Samuel Springuel rpspringuel at gmail.com
Wed May 11 03:16:51 CEST 2016

So, now that gregorio will be in the shell_escape_commands list in
TL2016 and beyond, I'm planning on modifying our installation
instructions for TL2015 and earlier so that they instruct the user to
add gregorio to the shell_escape_commands instead of using the
--shell-escape option.  As part of that I'm considering writing a script
which will do the leg work for those who are less comfortable with
digging through their /usr directory (we have some Mac and Windows users
that aren't comfortable with anything connected to the command-line).
So far, I've got the basic steps for creating
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf (I'm starting with Mac
and will translate for Windows later) and populating it with the
existing shell_escape_commands as well as gregorio.

If /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf already exists then I
don't want to just blindly over write it, but respect the current
contents.  Now, so far, if all the file contains is the list of
shell_escape_commands, then my script will respect that list and simply
append gregorio to it.  My question is whether this is sufficient.  Can
that file contain other information which I need to look for?

For reference, here is my script as I've written it thus far (obviously
it needs to be run with sufficient privileges to write to
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf, usually root on a Mac):

mkdir -p /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c
temp=`kpsewhich --var-value=shell_escape_commands`"\\"
echo "shell_escape_commands = \\" >
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
echo $temp >> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
echo "gregorio,\\" >> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
echo "" >> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf
mktexlsr

--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ