[tex-live] writing kpsewhich output to a file

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 3 00:45:36 CEST 2016

Hi Ulrike,

    wonder how I can catch the argument ...

There is no way without using --shell-escape or pipes, as far as I can
imagine.  Clearly we cannot allow shell redirections in restricted mode.

Admittedly this makes having kpsewhich in the restricted list rather
useless, but I don't see any way to solve it.  We'd have to add a new
primitive that expands to the output of a shell command.  That would be
highly useful, but I don't see it happening :(.  -k