[tex-live] Can Noto fonts be made to work with fontspec ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 22 00:51:38 CET 2016

I've recently installed the whole set of Noto fonts to one machine,
so I thought I would take another look at trying to use them with
lualatex and xelatex.

If, for english text, I try to force 'NotoSans' it appears to work.
But my test harness is really set up to check for font filenames in
the output from fc-cache.  If I try to specify NotoSans-Regular.ttf
then fontspec blows up :

(/opt/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))kpathsea:make_tex:
Invalid fontname `[NotoSans-Regular.ttf]/OT', contains '['

Similarly with simplified chinese :

(/opt/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))kpathsea:make_tex:
Invalid fontname `[NotoSansCJKsc-Regular.otf]/OT', contains '['

I cannot specify the names, e.g. in the format NotoSans CJK JP because the
spaces in font names are regarded as invalid.  Using single quotes
does not help, using double quotes seems to break the build anyway
because I am trying to set the fonts before \begin{document}.

All of my main texlive packages are built from the 2015 source, so
perhaps thing have already changed.  Is this a known problem ?

ĸen