[tex-live] tlmgr error in windows7 "there is no disk in ..."

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Mar 9 09:18:37 CET 2016

I (sometimes, currently regularly) get an error when I start
tlmgr update --list or tlmgr update --all in the command line on a
windows 7 machine.

The error dialog shows "perl.exe" in the title and the message says
(in german)

"There is no disk on the drive. Please insert a disk into drive

I can cancel the dialog, it will reappear two more times and then
everything works without problems. But it is a bit annoying.

After some research and the help of e.g. this site
I found out that "Harddisk6" is on my computer is (probably) related
to a (quite unused) built-in card reader and there is really no disk
in it. But why does perl/tlmgr try to access it?

Ulrike Fischer