[tex-live] Problem with Asymptote on Linux

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 1 20:19:21 CET 2016

Hi Paulo,

    Welcome to Asymptote version 2.35 (to view the manual, type help)
    error: could not load module 'plain'

Does not happen for me (of course; I wouldn't have released it if that
failed).  I don't have ASYMPTOTE_HOME or other relevant envvars set.

By design, neither the asy binary (2.35) nor the asy support files
(e.g., texmf-dist/asymptote/plain.asy) have changed since the initial
TL15 release.

Maybe you have some other kpathsea envvar set that is interfering?  I
cannot guess.  asy (that is, the tl binary -- compiling direct from
upstream is different) constructs the default by running
kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFMAIN and appending "/asymptote" to the value.
(source file settings.cc)

If the above is insufficient, maybe more debugging info could be gleaned
by running env KPATHSEA_DEBUG=-1 asy </dev/null >/tmp/out 2>&1
and see what is happening with after the TEXMFMAIN lookup.

Good luck,
Karl