[tex-live] Xdvi not working

Richard Koch richardmoncriefkoch at icloud.com
Sun Jun 12 18:40:55 CEST 2016

Folks,

Using information from the XQuartz bug system, I’ve compiled
xdvi on Snow Leopard for XQuartz 2.7.9. This version will be supplied
by tlmgr and TeX Live Utility in a few days as an update.

The new version runs on Snow Leopard and El Capitan, and I assume
on all intermediate systems, but users MUST update to XQuartz 2.7.9.
The update is available for Snow Leopard and above, and thus on
all systems supported by x86_64-darwin.

The 64 bit binaries for the Mac in TeX Live are compiled on Snow
Leopard, for compatibility with older systems. In most cases, TeX Live
contains its own copies of libraries, rather than relying on system
libraries. But X11 is an exception. Until now, I have used
XQuartz 2.3.6 on Snow Leopard for maximum compatibility. This
failed with the introduction of XQuartz 2.7.9, so from now on I
will update to the latest version of XQuartz before making
TeX Live. Users who need X11 should get in the habit of
updating it regularly.

Dick Koch