[tex-live] TL2016 brings "no driver" error where previously there was none

tljack at forallx.net tljack at forallx.net
Tue Jun 7 17:53:55 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-07 09:42, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 7 June 2016 at 16:34, <tljack at forallx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-06-06 16:05, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>> /tl/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty:94: Package graphics
>> Error:
>> No driver specified.
>>
>> Not confirmed here.
>> % pdflatex
>> documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>> usepackage{enumitem,geometry,array,graphicx,amsmath,amssymb}
>> begin{document}
>> Foo.
>> end{document}
>> works ok.
>> Do you have
>> texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics-cfg/graphics.cfg ?
>
>  I assume that path should end with /graphics/graphics.cfg.
>
>  Anyway, no I don't have that file either in TL2016, or in TL2015.
> TL2016 is the only one with the error.
>
>  -jack
>
> If you do not have graphics.cfg then you need to supply an explicit
> driver option to the graphics package but one has been part of texlive
> since before it was called texlive.
>
> in tl2015 (and possibly tl2016) what do you get returned for
>
> kpsewhich graphics.cfg

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.  That command returns nothing at all in
TL2016, but in TL2015 it returns:
/tl/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/graphics.cfg

I don't know why it wouldn't be there this year.

> If you have not got that file you can get it from
>
> https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/graphics-cfg [1]
>
> but how did you install texlive?

For the last few years, I've done it this way: I rsync the entire distro
to my machine, then I run the tlnet/install-tl script and install the
"minimal" scheme.  I then make sure that everything is on my $PATH (by
doing e.g., `which tex`).  Then I tell tlmgr to use my local clone as
the repo, and then I install some more packages.

Prior to that I did not rsync the entire distro, but just downloaded the
small tarball that holds "install-tl", and ran that.

-jack