[tex-live] pdftex segfault with \pdflastmatch

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:43:04 CEST 2016

On 6 June 2016 at 16:34, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Hi
> > This plain tex document demonstrates \pdflastmatch failing if used after
> > a \pdfmatch that returned no matches.
> I confirm that the same happens on x86_64-linux.
> > The crash disappears if I apply an attached utils.c.diff.
> > But I don't know that the patch is right or not.
> I also confirm that the crash disappears, but for the mentioned
> document:
>         \pdfmatch{a}{b}
>         \pdflastmatch0
>         \bye
> I get a strange output of
>         0 -1-<inverted question mark>
> Not sure if this is supposed to be.
> Norbert

that is I think the correct output
the -> comes out as an inverted question mark unless you add \tt somewhere
because cmr10 encoding is entertaining,

so that is
0 from  \pdfmatch (no match)
-1 from \pdflastmatch0 (non existing index of start of requested match)
-><nothing>  the non existing string matched.