[tex-live] Erors rebuilding format after updating TexLive 2016 with tlmgr

Benoît RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Mon Jul 25 11:58:54 CEST 2016

Hi Norbert,

>>> (/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-ka.tex
>
> I don't see these errors with texlive full installed.
>
>>> fmtutil: fmtutil is using the following fmtutil.cnf files (in precedence order):
>>> fmtutil:   /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>>> fmtutil:   /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>
> What do you have in texmf-local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf? Do you really
> need new/changed formats?

I don’t need new/changed format. As a matter of fact, I don't remember ever creating or editing any file in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/ (with the exception of updmap.cfg)

Since mllatex fails, I searched for mllatex and spotted one difference between the fmtutil.cnf files. The line (in texmf-dist) :

> mllatex pdftex language.dat -translate-file=cp227.tcx -mltex *mllatex.ini

reads in texmf-local (note the missing *…) :

> mllatex		pdftex	language.dat	-translate-file=cp227.tcx -mltex mllatex.ini

Could this missing * cause the compilation failure ?

The fmtutil.cnf file is available on https://www.dropbox.com/s/duzfowiedf84bh3/fmtutil.cnf?dl=0 if you want to investigate the matter further. Note that this is an old version of fmtutil.cnf : luatex doesn’t exist. According to my computer, this file dates back to 2007 and has never been changed since. I guess it was installed with MacTex 2007 (which must be the first version of MacTex I installed after Gerben Wierda dropped support of gwTex in 2007).

> I strongly suggest backing up and removing this file, and then run
> 	sudo fmtutil-sys —all

After trashing the /texmf-local files (keeping only updmap.cfg), invoking fmtutil-sys runs without error.

I really appreciate that you took time to investigate my question : many thanks again.

Benoît RIVET