[tex-live] TL2016: biber 2.4 does not work with biblatex 3.4

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Tue Jul 19 12:28:28 CEST 2016

Hi,

I've a report fron a user with this message:

| My opensuse leap system installed few days ago the new texlive 2016 packages.
| Since then, I cannot generate a bibliography with my texfiles anymore.
|
| From the biber log:
|
| > $ biber paper
| > INFO - This is Biber 2.4
| > INFO - Logfile is 'paper.blg'
| > INFO - Reading 'paper.bcf'
| > WARN - Warning: Found biblatex control file version 3.1, expected version
| > 3.0
|
| Latex reports that the bibliography is empty.
|
| I guess that the issue is due to a version mismatch between biber and
| biblatex.

and indeed from tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.sty:

 % This is not updated by build script as the control file version
 % does not necessarily change with the package version.
 % This is used when writing the .bcf
 \def\blx at bcfversion{3.1}

 % This is not updated by build script as the bbl version
 % does not necessarily change with the package version.
 % This is used when checking the .bbl
 \def\blx at bblversion{2.7}

which does not work with biblatex-biber-2.4/lib/Biber/Constants.pm

 # Version of biblatex control file which this release expects. Matched against version
 # passed in control file. Used when checking the .bcf
 our $BCF_VERSION = '3.0';
 # Format version of the .bbl. Used when writing the .bbl
 our $BBL_VERSION = '2.6';

the question rises: do I have to downgrade biblatex or upgrade biber?

Werner