[tex-live] a question about Debian/TeXLive

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Dec 14 03:47:16 CET 2016

Hi Jean-François

you have already found the solution, but still a few comments:

> tlmgr conf, I am a bit surprised by the result, particularly the
> presence of /user/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

This is for Debian, and this is a link to
This is for backward compatibility with some programs (xdvi-ja?) that
search for the texmf.cnf file there and not anywhere else.

> TEXMF={/home/USER/.texmf-config,/home/USER/.texmf-var,/home/USER/texmf,/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist}
> and its /usr/share/texmf/ because in the problematic document

No, that is correct. Debian installs the TeX Live packages into
but there are some packages that are maintained independenty and
these are installing files into /usr/share/texmf. So that is fine.

> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tipa/t3enc.def
> File: t3enc.def 2001/12/31 T3 encoding

tipa is one of the examples that is maintained outside the
texlive-* packages, for historic reasons.

Ah, and last but not least, this is a Debian question and should have been
posed on debian-tex-maint at l.d.o ;-) But since I am here, too ...

All the best

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer