[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue Aug 30 11:04:06 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 02:20:48PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Siep,
>
> > For a single-user install everything should happen automatically, so
> > no need for any provisions in tlmgr.
>
> I don't understand. *What* should happen?
>
> During install/update of xetex the fc-cache is run already.
>
> Do you mean when new *fonts* are installed, then we should run
> fc-cache?

A xetex run should trigger fc-cache when needed. The original
problems of Phil Taylor were caused by misconfiguration.

This works right only if the user has write access to the cache
directory.

Later today I'll install a new font in windows and try to use it
with xetex and see whether it really works as advertised.

> > For a multiuser install and an admin run, two actions would be
> > useful:
> > 1. re-running fc-cache
>
> Ok, that can be done.
>
> > 2. switching to per-user caches by simply appending
> >    FC_CACHEDIR = $TEXMFVAR/fonts/cache
> >    to the root texmf.cnf.
>
> That needs only documentation and users should do that. There is
> already the option to use
> 	tlmgr conf texmf FC_CACHEDIR '$TEXMFVAR/fonts/cache'
> (if I remember correctly).

Of course, a button in the GUI would be easier to find. It would be
even better if xetex or fc-cache could complain and give the user a
hint if fc-cache needs to run but the cache directory is not
writable. But that is not a job for us.

--
Siep Kroonenberg