[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue Aug 30 11:04:06 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 02:20:48PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Siep,
> > For a single-user install everything should happen automatically, so
> > no need for any provisions in tlmgr.
> I don't understand. *What* should happen?
> During install/update of xetex the fc-cache is run already.
> Do you mean when new *fonts* are installed, then we should run
> fc-cache?

A xetex run should trigger fc-cache when needed. The original
problems of Phil Taylor were caused by misconfiguration.

This works right only if the user has write access to the cache

Later today I'll install a new font in windows and try to use it
with xetex and see whether it really works as advertised.

> > For a multiuser install and an admin run, two actions would be
> > useful:
> > 1. re-running fc-cache
> Ok, that can be done.
> > 2. switching to per-user caches by simply appending
> >    FC_CACHEDIR = $TEXMFVAR/fonts/cache
> >    to the root texmf.cnf.
> That needs only documentation and users should do that. There is
> already the option to use
> 	tlmgr conf texmf FC_CACHEDIR '$TEXMFVAR/fonts/cache'
> (if I remember correctly).

Of course, a button in the GUI would be easier to find. It would be
even better if xetex or fc-cache could complain and give the user a
hint if fc-cache needs to run but the cache directory is not
writable. But that is not a job for us.

Siep Kroonenberg