[tex-live] texlive DVD install problems

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Aug 27 01:16:24 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-26 at 21:21:02 +0100, Peter Wilson wrote:

 > Apologies for the noise. I hadn't realised that I had to shut down and
 > restart Ubuntu for the change to the .profile file to take effect.
 > [...]

Dear Peter,
there is no need to reboot your system at all.  Since ~/.profile is
executed when you log in, it's sufficient to log out and in again.

For testing it's sufficient to start a new terminal and type

  . ~/.profile

The first dot means "execute the script within the current shell".
You can now check in this terminal whether everything works as
expected.  The change has no impact on other processes which are
currently running.  Thus it's quite safe.  You can't break anything
but this particular shell if you did a mistake.

If everything works fine you can launch other programs from this
terminal but if you want to launch programs from a menu provided by
the window manager, you have to log in again in order to make the GUI
aware of the changes in your ~/.profile .

There is no need to re-boot a Unix system at all except if a system
update provides a new kernel and you want to use it.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de