[tex-live] TeXLive 2016 on Ubuntu

Br. Samuel Springuel rpspringuel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 19:40:22 CEST 2016

I get the same list of dependencies as Norbert from texmaker.  When I
try to purge texlive-binaries I do get a dependency warning:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of texlive-binaries:
  asymptote depends on texlive-base-bin; however:
   Package texlive-base-bin is not installed.
   Package texlive-binaries which provides texlive-base-bin is to be
removed.

So obviously it's asymptote that's creating the problem.  Now, I never
asked for asymptote to be installed (just texmaker) and it's only listed
as a recommended package for texmaker, so I'm not sure why it would have
been installed.  Is there a configuration setting that would elevate
"recommends" to "depends"?  If I remove it, I can successfully remove
texlive-binaries.

Further, I notice that texlive-base-bin is not listed in the equivs
file.  I would guess, then, that there is a problem with chaining
"provides" as texlive-local (as built by equivs) provides
texlive-binaries which should, in turn, provide texlive-base-bin.
Perhaps texlive-base-bin should be added to the equivs file?
--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ