[tex-live] [pretest] pdfcrop crashes when called from certain directory

Uwe Siart usenet at siart.de
Sat Apr 23 16:26:33 CEST 2016

This is a really weird problem that I observe after today's update.
pdfcrop (or actually gswin32c) crashes when called from one special
directory:

d:\user\coupling-structure-letter\figures>pdfcrop s-params.pdf
PDFCROP 1.38, 2012/11/02 - Copyright (c) 2002-2012 by Heiko Oberdiek.
!!! Error: Ghostscript exited with error code 5!
C:\Programme\texlive\2016\bin\win32\runscript.tlu:677: command failed with exit code 13:
perl.exe c:\Programme\texlive\2016\texmf-dist\scripts\pdfcrop\pdfcrop.pl s-params.pdf

The crazy thing is that it works in any other directory that I have
tried instead. I have no clue what is special about that one directory
so that it provokes such a crash.

Actually I can't tell

- if it is really related to today's update (because I can't reproduce
  it in other directories, so the problem could in principle be older)

- if it is related to pdfcrop.pl or to PSTricks (this file s-params.pdf
  contains a PSTricks graphics, PSTricks was updated today, other PDFs
  work fine in this directory, s-params.pdf works fine in other
  directories)

Really weird. Perhaps someone got some idea. If not, please don't waste
too much time this, because it's really shady and I would not know how
to isolate the culprit. Platform is XP.

--
Uwe