[tex-live] option --dry-run to backup action did not output anything

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri Apr 8 09:30:21 CEST 2016

Hi,

on pretest, the binaries arrived today. I wanted to prune
the backups as I had already done the installation yesterday.

(I work
via rsyncing a mirror first to my disk, then tlmgr update).

Not being familiar with the command line use of backup --clean
I first used --dry-run which reported no action to be performed.

~$ tlmgr option autobackup
Number of backups to keep (autobackup): 1

~$ tlmgr option backupdir
Directory for backups (backupdir): tlpkg/backups

~$ du -h /usr/local/texlive/2016/tlpkg/backups
 48M	/usr/local/texlive/2016/tlpkg/backups

~$ tlmgr backup --clean=0 --all --dry-run

does not output anything.

Then I did

~$ tlmgr backup --clean=0 --all

~$ du -h /usr/local/texlive/2016/tlpkg/backups
  0B	/usr/local/texlive/2016/tlpkg/backups

Unfortunately I forgot to check after the first call
with --dry-run if anything had been pruned.

Hence I don't know if the first instance (with
--dry-run) already did the pruning.

By the way the clean=N syntax is a bit confusing
as apparently it says to *keep* N backups.

In the sequence of events above I in fact did
~$ tlmgr backup --clean=2 --all --dry-run

after the one with clean=0 as I was a bit confused.

What is the correct way to use --dry-run ?

I am on mac os x.

Cheers,
Jean-François