[tex-live] what to do if I want to use different paragraph separation

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:05:04 CET 2015

5764c029b688c1c0d24a2e97cd764f at gmail.com>:

> Dear all,
>
> Normally, empty line in the *.tex file indicates that we want to start a
> new paragraph.
> In the standard LaTeX classes (article, book, ...), a new paragraphs are
> indicated by indentation.
>
> What is the best solution when, instead of indentation, I want to indicate
> the beginning of a new paragraph
> by a vertical space in between of adjacent paragraphs?
>
> When I try this:
>
>         \setlength\parindent{0cm}
>         \setlength\parskip{.5em}
>
> the paragraphs are separated in the desired way,
> but changing those variables affects typesetting of other elements which
> consequently look horrible.
> - there is now a excess space between itemized list and the surrounding
> text
> - there is now an excess space between individual elements of the itemized
> list.
>
> If I want to change the paragraph separation but keep everything else
> unchanged, what should I do?
>
> Somewhere on StackExchange, the advice read "you need to define your own
> LaTeX class".
> Is this true?
> If yes, didn't somebody already did this in some class?

No, it is not necessary to go that far to define a new class. The easiest
way is not to leave empty lines around the list environments and between
items, i.e. do it this way:

The paragraph ends here but we continue with the enumeration without an
empty space.
\begin{enumerate}
\item something
\item anything
\end{enumerate}
The next paragraphs starts here without an empty line.

If you need empty lines for better readability, add the % sign instead of
the empty line. In such a case TeX will not insert the \par token.

If you do not like this, you can redefine just the list environments.

> Thanks you in advance for any tips that might help.
> --
> Matej

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz