[tex-live] [pretest] Windows: can't compile documents, permission problem

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri May 22 11:34:19 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:32:16AM +0200, Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Am 21.05.2015 um 23:27 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
> > Have you tried to delete all generated files between steps 10 an 11?
> > Maybe they are owned by an administrator and ordinary users are not
> > allowed to overwrite them.
>
> The problem is not files generated during the test, but reading the
> format fails.  When copying C:\texlive\2015\texmf-var\web2c\tex\tex.fmt
> to the current directory, compilation of story.tex succeeds even as a
> user.  Copying the format as a user triggers a UAC dialog, though, i.e.,
> user has not enough permission to read that file.

Indeed. I wonder what would be the best solution at this moment:
changing the binaries to generate world-readable format files, or
incorporating an icacls command in the installer and in tlmgr.

As an immediate remedy, a command

icacls c:\texlive\2015\texmf-var /grant:r Everyone:r /t

should do the trick - assuming c:\texlive\2015 is the root of the
installation.

--
Siep Kroonenberg