[tex-live] etoc

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat May 9 09:25:33 CEST 2015

Le 9 mai 2015 à 04:38, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> a écrit :

> On Fri, 08 May 2015, jfbu wrote:
>> For example "tlmgr info newtxmath", or "tlmgr info tabularx"
>> both fail because those are indeed LaTeX packages, but they
>> are bundled into bigger things for TeX Live installation.
>
> I have changed tlmgr to do something like this. Is this what you would expect:
>
> $ tlmgr info tabularx
> tlmgr: package repository /var/www/norbert/tlpretest
> tlmgr: cannot find package tabularx, searching for other matches:
>
> Packages containing `tabularx' in their title/description:
> carlisle - David Carlisle's small packages.
> linegoal - A "dimen" that returns the space left on the line.
> ltablex - Table package extensions.
> numprint - Print numbers with separators and exponent if necessary.
> tabu - Flexible LaTeX tabulars.
> tabulary - Tabular with variable width columns balanced.
> tools - The LaTeX standard tools bundle.
> widetable - An environment for typesetting tables of specified width
>
> Packages containing files matching `tabularx':
> bidi:
> 	texmf-dist/doc/xelatex/bidi/test-tabularx.tex
> 	texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/bidi/tabularx-xetex-bidi.def
> tex-virtual-academy-pl:
> 	texmf-dist/doc/generic/tex-virtual-academy-pl/latex2e/macro/tabularx.gif
> 	texmf-dist/doc/generic/tex-virtual-academy-pl/latex2e/macro/tabularx.html
> tex4ht:
> 	texmf-dist/tex/generic/tex4ht/tabularx.4ht
> tools:
> 	texmf-dist/doc/latex/tools/tabularx.pdf
> 	texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/tabularx.sty
> 	texmf-dist/source/latex/tools/tabularx.dtx
> 	texmf-dist/source/latex/tools/tabularx.ins
> $
>
> ???

Hi Norbert

this amply satisfies my query ;-)

I discover the --global
option to the "search" action, will the
extended "info" action also accept it ?

the CTAN pages have a "see also" bit of
information on package pages, the extended
"info" would be a strong competitor for
people wishing to identify the well-established
packages in an area they previously don't
know

ah, but --global does not work like I thought.
I tried with a minimal install (from the rsynced
to my disk tlpretest mirror) and here is what
I get:

~$ tlmgr search tabularx
 carlisle - David Carlisle's small packages.
 tools - The LaTeX standard tools bundle.

~$ tlmgr search tabularx --global
tlmgr: package repository /Users/---/Downloads/TEMP
 carlisle - David Carlisle's small packages.
 tools - The LaTeX standard tools bundle.

no, I understand, it is this problem with the
repository being wrong when doing such an install
(if that matters I did this with
 <O> options:
   [ ] use letter size instead of A4 by default
   [X] allow execution of restricted list of programs via \write18
   [ ] create all format files
   [ ] install macro/font doc tree
   [ ] install macro/font source tree
   [ ] create symlinks to standard directories
   [ ] after install, use tlnet on CTAN for package updates
)

~$ tlmgr option repository
Default package repository (repository): .

~$ tlmgr option repository /Users/---/Downloads/tlpretest
tlmgr: setting default package repository to /Users/---/Downloads/tlpretest

~$ tlmgr search tabularx --global
tlmgr: package repository /Users/---/Downloads/tlpretest
 carlisle - David Carlisle's small packages.
 linegoal - A "dimen" that returns the space left on the line.
 ltablex - Table package extensions.
 numprint - Print numbers with separators and exponent if necessary.
 tabu - Flexible LaTeX tabulars.
 tabulary - Tabular with variable width columns balanced.
 tools - The LaTeX standard tools bundle.
 widetable - An environment for typesetting tables of specified width

Bye,

Jean-François

Karl: tlpretest as updated this morning
does say