[tex-live] Pathological search path for TeXMF.cnf

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Sun Mar 15 10:28:11 CET 2015

Dear Reinhard,

> I don't know why Windows is [sometimes] so slow.

Since windows OS uses monocase filesystem, all characters in
ls-R are interpreted after transforming into lower case,
and filename characters in hash tables are transformed into
lower case. These processes are rather expensive.
If users of windows admit, I think I can remove the relevant
codes. In this case, users on windows have to use case
sensitive names in TeX.
For example at present, one can find IEEEtran.cls by
\documentclass{ieeetran}
on windows.
If I remove the relevant codes, one should correctly write as
\documentclass{IEEEtran}
I think this is natural in TeX world and users may admit.

Thanks,
Akira