[tex-live] Issues with texlive locating necessary files

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Mar 14 03:08:15 CET 2015

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Mirko Vogt wrote:
>   /usr/bin/mktexfmt: line 1027: //texmf-dist/texconfig/tcfmgr: not found

Do you have a proper texmf-dist tree installed?

Building and installing the sources *does*NOT* suffice to get a
running system. You need to have texmf-dist from SVN.

THen you have to put the binaries into
(depending on your compile option without the ARCH).

In principle any tex program that uses kpathsea searches first for
the main texmf.cnf via a compiled in list of dirs, that also
includes some relative to the location of the binary.

Use kpsewhich -show-path texmf.cnf to see where the files are searched.

If you want to search different ones, you need to set that before

> Question 1) Is setting $TEXMFMAIN as an environment variable the proper
> way? How do other distributions achieve the prefix-path being set correctly?

Installing a proper texmf-dist tree and setting the proper search path
before compiling, if necessary.

> Question 2) What is necessary to make the map file being found by tcfmgr?

a proper kpathsea setup, that is, the main texmf.cnf needs to be found.

I suggest *looking* into the packaging of TeX Live for Debian/Fedora/Suse
etc to see how it is done there.

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13