[tex-live] [luatex] lltxplatform integration

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Jun 5 14:12:17 CEST 2015

Le 05/06/2015 13:09, Zdenek Wagner a écrit :
> If luatex (or whatever) is changed to depend on .so files, it will not
> be installable in compiled form. Instead it will be necesary to
> install the source codes, each users will have to have autodonf,
> automake, compiler, development headers and tlmgr will have to compile
> them. You can rely on dynamic linkig only if you compile for a
> particular distro.

Ok, so the consensus seems to be "no shared library in TeXLive, due to
technical obstacles, especially under Linux". Unless someone has a new
argument, I think the discussion on this is more or less closed (and
might be reopened if luatex splits into dso).

A few points remain:

- should "." be removed from CLUAINPUTS?

- should CLUAINPUTS become
$SELFAUTOLOC/lib/{$architecture,}/{$progname,$engine,}/lua//
?

- should there be a restriction on loadable libraries?

- Hans, does it seem reasonable to have a ConTeXt script installing the
shared libraries provided by ConTeXtgarden, so that TeXLive users can
install them by running this script?

- could we imagine some place in the TeXLive svn for the source code of
these libraries; they would not be compiled, but TeXLive distro
packagers (Debian, Suse, Mac, whatever) can provide an additional
package "luatex-shared" or something like that, based on this source
code? That would ease their work and make things a bit homogeneous.

- as there doesn't seem to be problems with dll under Windows, could
there be an exception to the "no dso in TeXLive" rule for
lualatex-platform under Windows? It could be called by luaotfload (with
no error if absent) to read the registry under Windows

- if something is to be made by luaotfload to cache the font locations
in the registry, to be called by tlmgr (a bit like updmap, etc.), could
this be "luaotfload-tool --cache-registry" or should it be an
independent script? If it needs to be independent, what about the name
"luaotfload-cache-registry.exe"? The script wouldn't do anything under a
non-Windows OS.

Thank you,
--
Elie