[tex-live] [luatex] lltxplatform integration

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Jun 5 12:12:30 CEST 2015

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015, Élie Roux wrote:

> Ok, but if TeXLive manages to compile some .so files (for XeTeX for
> instance IIRC) and make it generic enough to be used under Debian, Suse,
> etc. then I fail to see why it wouldn't manage to compile some .so files
> for LuaTeX the same way?

(1) TeXLive does not compile any .so files for XeTeX but rather uses the
libfontconfig.so.1 of the system installed in, e.g., /usr/lib64/.

(2) The trick is to compile the x86_64-linux binaries on a system with a
fairly old version of the GNU C Library in order not to depend on symbols
introduced more recently and not available on, e.g., CentOs5.  Compiling an
.so on such a system would help but there is still the problem of different
versions of other shared libaries.

Regards
Peter