[tex-live] inclusion of pdf figures in tex-live 2015

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jul 18 23:55:12 CEST 2015

    thus, as normal user, should we stick to PDF 1.5 as format for any PDF
    to be attached?

It depends on what you are doing with your pdfs, but PDF 1.5 is safe.

    A final question. Akira suggested to put V 7 in dvipdfmx.cfg.

That will cause dvipdfmx to output PDF 1.7.

    If I do so, will it work even for whenever dvipdfm will be updated?

If you mean for TL'16 ... I can't easily answer that.  It depends on
exactly how you make the change.

    And is it advisable for me doing such a change?

My general answer would be no.  If you are making a PDF with a specific
purpose in mind, like a publisher, and you know they are happy with PDF
1.7, then sure, you could change it for your immediate need.  If you are
making PDFs for a general audience, I think you would be creating
something that a substantial number of people could not read.  And then
there is the maintenance burden of the change.

My immediate idea for you would be to try xdvipdfmx from TL'14.  (Just
save the current binary and put the old one in its place.)  I haven't
tried it, so I don't know if it will "just work" in TL'15, but that is
my hope.  Anything else will create more work.

We want to find/distribute a real fix for this, but that will take a few
days, at least, and I imagine you want to get on with your work.