[tex-live] latex-2.09 in TeXLive

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Tue Jan 13 21:45:34 CET 2015

I started this thread in October 2011 and eventually
reported that I had succeeded. Barbara Beeton asked me to
write up what I had done but I demurred saying

  I'm afraid there's not much I can say. The "re-creation"
  of the latex209 format went as follows: I found a latex209
  tree in a back-up and copied it to my current texmf
  tree, added a line to fmtutil.cnf and called fmtutil.
  That's about it, except for adding a symbolic link in my
  /usr/local/bin.

I've just had to figure this out again, and I now agree that
it may indeed be useful to document all the details :+)

If you don't have a latex209 tree, download

http://mirrors.ctan.org/obsolete/macros/latex209/distribs/latex209.tar.gz

unpack it somewhere and move it to

tex/latex209

(*not* tex/latex)

in a local or personal texmf tree.

Add the following line

latex209        tex             -               latex209.ini

to the

# from eplain:

section of fmtutil.cnf.  Do

kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf

to find this file.  Then do

fmutil --missing

which should respond with

fmtutil: No errors, exiting successfully.

Finally, add a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin (or whatever
works in Windows) as follows:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/tex latex209

That should do it.

Bob T.