[tex-live] Installation on an USB Stick

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Dec 1 01:35:29 CET 2015

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> there is a function SymlinkOrCopy() in updmap.pl, line 598ff.

Reinhard, that is irrelevant. Installation from DVD *unpacks*
that tar.xz, which in case of Unix contains symlinks.

We *could* work around *if* installing from an unpacked tree or
a previous installation, but *not* from DVD which is basically tlnet.
And tlnet's .tar.xz contain symlinks.

> BTW, all this has nothing to do with the L option.  The latter is

As I wrote.

> Herbert, if you have time to experiment, you can also try UDF instead
..
> works fine on Windows.  When we discussed it a few years ago Norbert
> said that it wasn't available on OS/X, don't know whether it's still

It was not working, not reliable across platforms. Maybe things have
changed, if someone wants to play around and report results, I would
be *VERY* happy.

Norbert