[tex-live] Issue installing Tex Live on Windows 10

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Thu Aug 6 19:07:07 CEST 2015

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 01:38:42 +0200
Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de> wrote:

> The link provided by Michael is absolutely useless because nothing
> is explained.

I found a thread on the Microsoft community site:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmdexe-error-0xc0000142/21efc574-3279-441b-b3fd-005e46914564?auth=1

The last post was this:

"Sorry but i have to be honest and say this is the most useless thread
 ever created.

 every person with the error on here is like:

 "when i try and run cmd.exe i get the error that the application was
  unable to start correctly...blah blah blah"

  and EVERY single response is:

  "well to fix it first open an elevated command prompt....blah blah blah"

LOL! So, I guess that's representative of help on the issue at hand.
And bear this in mind with any additional URLs I mention below.

> I fear that the error message "0xc0000142" isn't very helpful at all.
> What does it mean?  Is it documented somewhere?

At this point, I believe it means that there was an error loading a
DLL - either because it is damaged or because it is unsigned (and not
because it is merely missing).

Now let us ponder that this is Windows 10 with so many bells and whistles,
30+ years of evolution - and it does not even tell us which DLL is the
culprit.

Anyway, the error can be caused by a damaged file. So the filesystem should
be scanned for errors.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmdexe-error-0xc0000142/21efc574-3279-441b-b3fd-005e46914564?auth=1

Also, the registry can be edited to allow the loading of unsigned DLLs:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/03/autocad-2015-application-error-0xc0000142-autoruns-for-windows-.html
https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd744762%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

which would allow one to exclude that cause. But, as Siep mentioned, this does
involve editing the registry and not everyone is up to that.

It would be nice if there were a utility that fixes just that, but everyone should
be wary because there is a lot of malware out there that masquerades as quick and
easy repair utilities.

  Cheers,

  Mike