[tex-live] [pretest] Update --self hangs

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:07:54 CEST 2015

> Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> writes:
> > I have just tried on GNU Linux (Fedora) on x86_64 and everyting worked
> > smoothly. It may take some time to download the packages, I am on a
> > gigabit network so it is fast but if your connection is slower, time
> > required for reinitialization of an updated infrastructure may be
> > longer.
> Could it be that this problem is specific to windows? In this update
> perl.win32 was included and I understand that updating the platform upon
> which all the scripts are running is certainly not straight forward.

In unix systems, tlmgr can update itself while it is running. It is not
possible in Windows, you have to do this in two separate steps:
tlmgr update -self
tlmgr update -all

If you try the latter without the former, tlmgr should report that "tlmgr
update -self" is needed. I can try at home what happens if I do not specify