[tex-live] How to disable the automatic line break at 80 characters in the output of pdflatex?

Mon Apr 13 17:13:27 CEST 2015

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:06:21 GMT
Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     Is there a way to know where is the system-distributed file?
>
> kpsewhich --all texmf.cnf
> will show all texmf.cnf's that it finds in the path used for that.
>
> kpsewhich --show-path=cnf will show the path.  (Typically long,
> including many nonexistent directories.)
>
>     In fact, as I am on Slackware 14.1,
>
> Oh, well, if you're using a distro-provided TeX, there's no way for us
> to know anything.  Ask Slackware.

In fact, it is not really a distro-provided package because Slackware 14.1 is not providing TexLive.
It is a package that I have built using a script from: http://slackbuilds.org/
Anyway, the problem is the same: If I need help with this package, I need to contact the packager, not this mailing-list.
However, I think my problem is not relative to the package itself as I am just wondering how TexLive is managing the path to find the texmf.cnf file.

And you have answered well, thank you:

$ kpsewhich --all texmf.cnf
/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf

$ kpsewhich --show-path=cnf
/usr/bin:/usr/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/bin/texmf/web2c:/usr:/usr/share/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/texmf-local/web2c:/usr/texmf-dist/web2c:/usr/texmf/web2c://../texmf-local/web2c:/://share/texmf-local/web2c://share/texmf-dist/web2c://share/texmf/web2c://texmf-local/web2c://texmf-dist/web2c://texmf/web2c

I see these interesting path:
- /usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c
- /usr/share/texmf/web2c

They are interesting for me because the prefix "/usr/share" is my favourite in the prefix proposed by the command and because the "/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c" and "/usr/share/texmf/" directories already exist in my system.

Is there a reason to prefer using the "/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf" file instead of "/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/web2c/texmf.cnf"?
What happen if two "texmf.cnf" are available (one in each of these directories)?
Is there a way to have a local "texmf.cnf" file containing only my 3 added lines, and a global "texmf.cnf" file containing all the default lines in order to override only the part I want by editing my local file?
Maybe it should be better to have a hidden directory somewhere in my home directory to contain my "texmf.cnf" file?