[tex-live] 2015 pretest

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Apr 13 12:19:06 CEST 2015

Le 13 avr. 2015 à 11:57, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> a écrit :

> (Explaining to newbies how to create a texdist would be pointless /
> way too complex and changing the PATH would be by far the easiest
> solution. That was the reason why I initially suggested it. I know how
> to make it, but nevertheless I never bothered making one for anything
> else but experiments and relied on changing PATH for tlpretest in the
> past.)

I don't like adjusting PATH because I always forget in what file it is
set up (some years back I recall some ~/.zsh.rc, now it is rather
~/.bashrc no ~/.profile no rather ~/.bash_profile) I always forget the
syntax (is it export? is it setenv?)

(to be honest I would only need modifying what's fortunately already
there in .bash_profile, but I would be hesitant if I needed to do it from
scratch)

besides there is always this problem that I don't know if GUI app will
actually react to my .bash_profile, perhaps I need to do stuff in,
how is it called again, ah yes /etc/paths.d, well I had forgotten there
is a TeX file in this directory with contents the single line /usr/texbin
(I had forgotten it and I don't need to worry about ever modifying it)

The Gerben Wierda/Jérôme Laurens TeXDist Preference Pane for Mac OS
is truly a blessing (comes with MacTeX)

A single click and the whole distribution is changed back to TL2012 if I
wish

(the only trouble with the TeXLive architecture is that texmf-local
remains the same, which is not always appropriate, one can imagine
things were suitably added in 2012 by the user in texmf-local (CTAN
stuff not distributed by texlive), but not in 2014; as it stands each
year I must create a zip archive of my texmf-local, in case one day I
really want to recreate an exact earlier situation; which is all silly
dream anyhow as in the meantime the Mac OS will have changed and I am
not even sure the old executables will all still run. As for pdftex
etc... the few times I did it it worked)

Jean-François