[tex-live] How to disable the automatic line break at 80 characters in the output of pdflatex?

Sun Apr 12 11:38:52 CEST 2015

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:16:56 GMT
Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     But this does not work adding lines to the end of the texmf.cnf file:
>
> Add the lines to the beginning of the file.  Or, much preferable, add
> them to the local file /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf
> instead of the system-distributed file
> /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf.

In fact, in the "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf" file, there was already these lines:
error_line = 79
half_error_line = 50
max_print_line = 79

So, I have replaced them by:
error_line=254
half_error_line=238
max_print_line=1000

I have done that instead of adding these lines at the end of the file.
It works fine now.

I have also tried to create the missing "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf" file and adding these three lines but in this case, it does not work.

In fact, as I am on Slackware 14.1, my texlive 20130530 has been patched.
So, my path are maybe not the one of the original texlive 20130530 version.
For example, instead of "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf" I have "/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf".
And I thought that instead of "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf" the system-distributed file could be "/usr/share/texmf.cnf".
Maybe my guess is wrong and it explains why it does not work with this system-distributed file.

Is there a way to know where is the system-distributed file?