[tex-live] ls-R files and nasty symlinks

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Oct 20 01:24:18 CEST 2014

Hi,

adding to Karl and Heiko:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014, Karl Berry wrote:
> If you do try removing the -L, though, I'd interested in hearing if it

Not good idea. I know many users who have font packages installed
into separate directories, and use some way to symlink the files
into the texmf trees.

It *IS* a pain to have symlinks, because nmtxrun/luatex starts
reading each and every file, and as the link target name lenght os
often too long, it is saved in an extra inode (on some fs),
and luatex crawls to an halt loading ech and every file from unrelated
blocks, killing system caching ... but this is a different story.

Norbert