[tex-live] Font features linked with fontspec-preparse-external apparently broken in fontspec

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Oct 17 23:08:02 CEST 2014

On 2014-10-17 at 14:04:47 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:

 > Doing it from within XeTeX would avoid this of course, as the fonts
 > will be accessible only to XeTeX. But there are other potential
 > issues, like when different versions of the same font are provided
 > by the system and TeX Live, the one that will be used is rather
 > arbitrary.

Yes.  I understand Jonathan when he says that it's desirable to be
able to use the same font for TeX as well as for the text editor you
are using in order to create the TeX files.  Jonathan demonstrated it
with Arabic and Hindi at several TeX conferences and the results were
convincing.

On the other hand system fonts are not reliable.  I recently compiled
the diploma thesis I wrote more than 20 years ago.  It worked like a
charm because the Computer Modern fonts are still part of any TeX
distribution.  I'm convinced that you can't compile any document in 20
years any more if it relies on system fonts.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de