[tex-live] Font features linked with fontspec-preparse-external apparently broken in fontspec

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Oct 15 10:28:46 CEST 2014

Am Wed, 15 Oct 2014 06:49:32 +0200 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Thanks for this. I should have provided more background: calling
> fonts by name is indeed the simplest, it works with LuaLaTeX
> whether the fonts are installed at the OS level or in the texmf
> trees, but with XeLaTeX only when the fonts are installed at the
> OS level.

I can without problem call fonts installed in the texmf tree by
names in windows.

> Based on the fontspec doc, this should work writing a file LucidaBrightOT.fontspec say containing
> \defaultfontfeatures[LucidaBrightOT]
>   {
>    Extension = .otf,
>    BoldFont = LucidaBrightOT-Demi,
>    ItalicFont = LucidaBrightOT-Italic,
>    BoldItalicFont = LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic
>   }
> and then calling the font in a XeLaTeX/LuaLaTeX document via either
> \setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}
> \setmainfont{LucidaBrightOT}
> Except it doesn't: there are error messages about the Extension,
> BoldFont, etc. keys being unknown.
> Looking closer, it seems \defaultfontfeatures doesn't accept keys
> defined through fontspec-preparse-external in
> fontspec-{xetex,luatex}.sty, such as
> Extension/BoldFont/ItalicFont/BoldItalicFont/Path/ExternalLocation.
> I think this is a fontspec bug, but couldn't get any confirmation
> so far.

It works if one use a symbolic name like \rmfamily:

Roman text.\par
\textbf{Bold text}\par
\textit{Italic text.}\par
\textbf{\textit{Bold italic text.}}

I don't have the time currently to really look at it, but imho there
is some confusing between "(single) font" and "family".

Ulrike Fischer