[tex-live] MNRAS LaTeX style updates

Keith T. Smith kts at ras.org.uk
Wed Nov 26 17:46:57 CET 2014

Hi

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask - I initially tried asking arXiv but they told me to speak to you instead.

I'm one of the Assistant Editors who work on the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. I'm currently in the process of updating our LaTeX style files. They've not been modified since 2002, so there's quite a lot to do.

The package already exists on CTAN: http://www.ctan.org/pkg/mnras with the main file named mn2e.cls

>From http://arxiv.org/help/faq/aaclass and http://arxiv.org/help/submit_tex#wegotem I realised that package updates have caused difficulty for arXiv in the past, and would like to avoid compatibility problems if possible. They've refused to help me, although I suppose compatibility issues will affect other installations as well as arXiv.

We've added various new commands which I suspect may not be backwards compatible with custom commands specified by document authors e.g. \ion and \eprint, and some of the layout, footer etc. options have changed which will modify the appearance of older papers. I've not encountered an example where compiling old papers actually breaks, but nor have I done much testing.

Could you please give me some advice on how to proceed with this? The obvious one would be to rename the class file e.g. from mn2e.cls to mnras.cls , but that might be a drastic option. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Keith

--
Dr Keith T. Smith

Assistant Editor (MNRAS)