[tex-live] xetex and system fonts with cygwin64

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 16:12:26 CET 2014

On 11/14/2014 9:20 AM, David Carlisle wrote:
> Since switching to cygwin64 (windows 8) I don't seem to be able to get
> xetex to find any fonts in the windows font directory.

This is probably a result of a change in Cygwin's fontconfig package:

You could restore the previous behavior by adding a line like the
following to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf in the "Font directory list" section:

You would then have to run fc-cache on this directory to create the font

The problem with this is that the Windows font directory can change,
often without your even being aware of it (e.g., as a result of a
Windows update).  The font cache then becomes out of date, and you have
to rerun fc-cache.  The link I pointed to above promised a fix for this,
but it hasn't happened yet.