[tex-live] TeXLive (Windows) bash script -> exe

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon May 19 18:59:57 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-19 at 18:34:46 +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

 > Am Mon, 19 May 2014 18:19:12 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
 >
 > >  > And another small question: What extension should one use for such
 > >  > lua-scripts .lua or tlu?
 >
 > > Both are supported by kpathsea and runscript.
 >
 > Yes but which one is the sensible? In the sense that sometimes
 > ".tex" or ".ltx" or ".sty" is the "right" extension.

You can safely use .lua nowadays.  Before we had the .exe wrappers we
considered to put the lua wrappers directly into bin/win32.  In this
case we had to associate some extensions with the texlua program in
the Windows registry.  But we couldn't use .lua because this would
clash with an external Lua installation.  We therefore invented .tlu
and .texlua.  Since the actual scripts are located in a TEXMF tree and
invoked by .exe wrappers, there is no need to avoid .lua any more.

There is no "right" extension.  All three are treated equal by
runscript.  In other words, .tlu and .texlua exist for historical
reasons.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25