[tex-live] Regressions triggered by 'latex' package updates on pretest

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Mon May 19 11:35:24 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've been testing using the TeX Live 2014 pretest and updates to the
'latex' package caused three different documents to fail to export.

After a full tlmgr update, if I do:
sudo /opt/texbin/tlmgr restore --force latex 32901
the documents go back to exporting correctly.

Unfortunately, I won't have access to the machine where I have TeX
Live 2014 pretest installed for a while so I cannot create minimal
examples. However, I don't want to wait until I can create minimal
examples because by then perhaps it will be too late for the bugs to
be fixed before TeX Live 2014 is released.

The there document classes in the documents are:
FoilTeX
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Europe CV

In case anyone is curious, I have uploaded a tar ball with all three
documents, and the log files from both the "good" ("_before") latex
package version of 32901 and the "bad" ("_after") latex package
version of 34069:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vby414gd0bj89i/regressions.tar.gz
The FoilTeX document fails when compiling with XeTeX (also separately
LuaTeX although I don't include the log files), and the other two fail
when compiling with LuaTeX.

Any advice on where I should report this? The LaTeX project does not
seem like the right place to report the regressions because "You
should make sure that the document doesn't use any third-party
packages or document classes." [1]. Further, I have no idea if the
update just uncovered a bug in the three documents.

Should I report it individually to the three document class
maintainers and hope they respond quickly? Should I report it to
XeTeX/LuaTeX?

More information, in case it is relevant, is that I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit.

Thank you,

Scott

[1] http://latex-project.org/bugs-upload.html