[tex-live] Multiple TEXMFHOME on Windows

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 10 08:04:29 CEST 2014

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fri, 09 May 2014, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
>> Does this command work on Windows as well?
>
> Try it!?

I'm not very comfortable with Windows and the only Windows machine I can
try is a virtual box which used to have behavior usual Windows users
didn't notice.

I asked this question for a friend of mine who's currently using MiKTeX
and is hesitating to switch to TeX Live, especially because he would
like to be sure he could still easily deal with multiple personal texmf
trees.

> THe tlmgr command works, I guess the expansion also, so my guess is,
> yes.

Here is the way I tried.

1. Set 2 personal texmf trees:

  ╭────
  │ C:>tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFHOME "~/texmf:~/texmfbis"
  │ setting texmf TEXMFHOME to ~/texmf:~/texmfbis (in C:/texlive/2013/texmf.cnf)
  │ lastwin = 10
  ╰────

2. Check TEXMFHOME:

  ╭────
  │ C:>kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFHOME
  │ C:/Users/Denis/texmf:~/texmfbis
  ╰────

  Weird output, isn't it?

3. Check the file `yathesis.cls` I added in one of these personal texmf
trees:

  ╭────
  │ C:\>dir \Users\Denis\texmf\tex\latex\yathesis /a-d /w
  │  Volume in drive C has no label.
  │  Volume Serial Number is CC38-5CD1
  │
  │  Directory of C:\Users\Denis\texmf\tex\latex\yathesis
  │
  │ demo-yathesis.sty   yathesis.cls
  │                2 Files(s)           95 986 bytes
  │                0 Dir(s)   2 117 427 200 bytes free
  ╰────

4. Check if `yathesis.cls` is known by TL:

  ╭────
  │ C:\Users\Denis\texmf\tex\latex>kpsewhich yathesis.cls
  │
  │ C:\Users\Denis\texmf\tex\latex>
  ╰────

  The answer is no.

As said, I'm not sure my Windows machine is not corrupted (see "Volume in
drive C has no label" above), hence my question.
--
Denis